On the 19th January 1868 Alexander Dorrian was made Worshipful Master of the then new Greyabbey Lodge 1592. In 1923 Hugh McAvoy became Master and his Deputy was William Dorrian, the son of Alexander, and today family ties remain strong with Brother Hugh Dorrian an active member in the ranks and he is the great grandson of Alexander Dorrian. Brother Hugh McAvoy was W.M. from 1923 until 1938 when he was succeeded by Thomas Christie, a member who in 1989 celebrated his 60th twelfth. In the span of living memory The Orange Hall has always been on its present site in the middle of the village. Previous to 1904 the lodge met in various old houses, but with the aid of public donations work began on the present hall.
In the early life of the lodge the members were led by the sound of two, lambeg drums, 'The Cock of the North', and 'The Cock of County Down'. It was proposed in 1933 that Hugh McAvoy, Thomas Christie (junior) and Albert Patton go to Belfast with £10.0.0 from Lodge funds to purchase instruments for the formation of a flute band. By 1958 a younger element within the band brought about a change from flute to accordions. The accordion band had the honour of leading the Brethren around the village in 1968 when Greyabbey hosted the 12th July parade flutes re-emerged in 1982.
Greyabbey hosted the twelfth on 3 occasions' - in 1890, 1920 and lastly 1968 during the Lodge's centenary year. Old photographs show that the Lodge carried a Lodge Flag which included the Lodge name and number. Today a banner is paraded which depicts the old Abbey, but the previous one showed “The Good Shepherd” and the one before ''The Mountjoy'' breaking the boom, while the first banner was a memorial banner to the late Brother Alexander Dorrian. Greyabbey village is brightly decorated in preparation of the Twelfth, and it is with pride that annually the Orange Arch is raised. Although the Arch was rebuilt in steel in the 1970's the emblems on it predate this, as does the story behind the emblems go back even further in time. No longer does Greyabbey LOL 1592 walk behind the rattle of the lambegs as over a century ago did their fore-fathers on parade. As God has guided and nurtured Greyabbey from the founding of its ancient Abbey in 1192, may his almighty power and grace be on the members of L0L 1592 as we look to many, many more years of Orangeism in our village.
Millisle Jubilee Heroes L.O.L. 1758
LOL 1758 was formed in 1887 and was known in the early years as Woburn Jubilee Heroes. Later the Lodge moved into the village of Millisle and became known as Millisle Jubilee Heroes. In the year 1956 the Lodge name was again changed. It was now known as Bro. James Knox Memorial LOL 1758. Shortly after this event some difficulties caused the lodge to close for a time from 1960. However in 1963 some members made the effort and the lodge was re-opened. A site was then obtained and a prefabricated building erected on the site of the present hall. From this time on the lodge grew steadily and in 1977 the temporary hall was replaced by the present building. This has proved to be of real benefit to the Lodge and community. In 1987 the lodge celebrated its centenary with a number of special events and in 1994 it was decided the Lodge would revert to their original name of Millisle Jubilee Heroes. Today the lodge is in good shape and the members look forward to a successful future.
Ballywalter Heroes L.O.L. 1884The warrant of the Lodge was issued by the Grand Lodge on 29th April, 1865, and the first Worshipful Master was a Bro. Duncan McLaren. Down through those 147 years the Lodge has always had strength in membership and it has been a solid part of the Upper Ards District, indeed Worshipful Bro. David Johnston, a member of the Lodge, held the office of Worshipful District Master for 16 years. The Orange Hall in which the Lodge met suffered damage from fire in 1932, when all materials were destroyed, and again in 1979 tragedy struck when fire once again destroyed the inside of the hall, and unfortunately on both occasions the Lodge was left with no record or minute books. Thankfully one photograph of the Lodge taken in 1900 did survive, and it belonged to the late Samuel Regan, whose father was Worshipful Master during that year.
Depicted on these banners are portraits of two past members, they being Charles Henry George, 3rd Lord Dunleath, and on an older banner, Henry Kyle, 2nd Lord Dunleath, a reminder to all of the dignity in which Ballywalter Lodge has ever been held. Also in the hall hang portraits of both members, plus one of W.Bro. David Johnston Past Master L0L 1800 and Past District Master of Upper Ards District L0L No.11. Being a coastal village on the east of Northern Ireland Ballywalter has always had strong links with Scotland, likewise so to has the Lodge, and yearly this close association is strengthened by visits across the sea between members of LOL 1884 and their Brethren in Scotland.
No one can tell what the future holds, but the men of Ballywalter LOL 1884 have a strong determination to hold fast to their principles, a strength gained from the men of past years, and as they parade, even now, they are ever reminded of their past as leading them on their banner is a portrait of the Ballywalter War Memorial, itself to the memory of so many who fought for King and Country in two World Wars and since.